Saturday, March 31, 2012

9 diy gifts

Several years ago I made a commitment to only give handmade gifts, both because it forces me to be creative and I believe it is a responsible way to care for our environment and people around the world by limiting our consumer's desire. While I have not been entirely successful I keep making the effort, and as birthdays and baby showers and housewarmings give me a lot opportunity to celebrate and give, I figured I ought to dedicate a list to gifts and hopefully it will keep me inspired (and some of you) to give creatively and generously.

1. Knit hat and scarf. Last Christmas I made three scarves and Jason made three hats for our three nieces. We used yarn lying around the house and only the most basic knitting skills to complete these cute combos.

2. Gift Baskets. Always an occasion and with endless themes, a gift basket always makes a nice gift whether it's a celebration for a baby, a new parent, a housewarming, or a valentines special. Here is a good website I found with several different basket ideas.

3. Chocolate Truffles. If I'm not making candy in my kitchen in December it just does not feel like Christmas. Over the past five years I have been working on my vegan truffle recipes and gifting them around holidays. I am planning on making them available for sale next Christmas season.

4. Napkins and Placemats. A simple sewing pattern, scratch fabric, and such a wonderful housewarming or wedding gift. I have made a handful of these sets over the years but yet to have two matching napkins in my own house.

5. Homemade Meal. I enjoy gifting my parents with homemade feasts highlighting different countries of the world. I thoroughly love the process of the gift as well as the opportunity to spend time with my folks.

6. Bath Products. A great gift for a new mother or newly pregnant woman, there are all kinds of recipes for bath salts, scrubs, lotions, bubbles, and soaps.

7.Mason Jars. I got this idea of pinterest from this website.There is such a variety of things that fit into a mason jar, check it out. And after all the goods are consumed, the receiver has mason jars and has the possibility to continue the cycle of gifts in a jar.

8. Recipe Book. Early on when I went vegan I went through a cookbook addiction where I bought unnecessary amounts of cookbooks and studied them. Pretty soon I wanted to start sharing all the amazing recipes I was finding, so I started making recipe boxes for my friends and family.

9. Coupons. Everyone one loves a coupons packet. Back rubs, babysitting, date night, etc. When in doubt, make a coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment