Monday, February 20, 2012

9 weekend craft projects

I'm always looking for quick weekend projects during the rainy winter months in Portland. With the busyness of life I too often find myself short on time and among stacks of unfinished crafts. And therefore these days I work mostly within weekend-sized ambition.

1. Flower Headband. This project is ridiculously easy and satisfying and hardly DIY. I bought the flower and the lace separately at Michaels and assembled with a few simple stitches.

2. Slouch Hat. This quick and fun crochet hat pattern is free here. The hat can be made in several hours with less only one skein of yarn.

3. Window Frame Wall Art. I am always looking for cheap and original art to fill the space on my walls. This project was inspired during a renovation project that left us with a couple of old windows. Behind the window is a piece of painted plywood.

4. Triangle Cowl. The pattern for this crochet cowl is here for only 5 dollars. Give me two skeins of yarn and a rainy Saturday and I will be showing off this versatile scarf.

5. Knit Sweater. An adapted version of this Baby Eskimo Sweater pattern, this thick-yarn sweater is fast and extremely impressive.

6.Baby Beanie with flowers. Following a pattern from the crochet book "The Happy Hooker", and adapting it to fit a child's head, this became Eden's first gift from her Mama. The flower pattern is from "Essential Crochet".

7. Reversible napkins and placemats. This great pattern is from Amy Buttler's "In Stitches". It doesn't take much sewing skill and they make a great wedding or housewarming gift

8. Mason Jar Candles. I can't justify the cost for nice decorative candles so instead I buy nice cheap candles, place them inside various mason jars (I'm always picking up canning jars at Goodwill - there are endless uses), add some lentils, split peas or small stones and I quickly some nice candle decor.

9. Felted Wallet. A friend found this wallet at a craft fair. It could easily be replicated by felting a sweater, cutting out the desired shape and sewing together. Sweater crafts are so fast and cheap. Click here for some more great recycled sweater projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment